Tuesday, September 16, 2008

What Happened?!

Oh how I long for the days when I could brag about what a happy baby I had. He was a good eater and an even better sleeper! I was the envy of all the other parents whose children kept them up all hours of the night screaming for seemingly no reason at all. Tyler never did that! While most mothers fretted about milk supply and proper latch, my child was a pro at breastfeeding!
But now, well, I feel like I haven't slept in weeks. Parents-to-be BEWARE! Once Tyler started to crawl, it all went downhill. This new feat meant he would have to be transferred from his cradle next to mommy's bed to his crib, all the way upstairs, in a room he had been in maybe 5 times in his life. Suddenly, bed time is a time dreaded by all in our household, not excluding the dog and cat. I don't need the monitor; his cries for help can be heard in the back yard. I try to put a silver lining on it by thinking of it as pay back to our neighbors since their barking dog kept me up at night through most of my pregnancy. I tried to put Tyler down for a nap yesterday and he screamed for exactly one hour before I caved. It is truly awful to watch your child beg for you to pick him up and have to walk out of the room.
Tyler is also 8 months old now, which means in 4 short months he will need to be weaned. However, he hates baby food and refuses to take a bottle or a sippy cup no matter what the contents. Suddenly, breastfeeding is a burden. I don't want to be nursing him when he's 4 because he doesn't like anything else.
Despite all of these hardships, he's still the best thing that ever happened to us, as far as I'm concerned. Last night, on the way home from the fair, "Baby Mine", a lullaby sung by Bette Middler came on the radio and I was in tears thinking about how, before I know it, he will be too big to cry for me to pick him up!

On a totally unrelated note, I got a new toothbrush and I LOVE it. You should try the Colgate 360. It makes my groggy mornings a little better.

1 comment:

Kyle Ray said...

yes leaving the room will be difficult, but sometimes it must be done... and I love a good toothbrush.